Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wow. Living with Mother

It appears that I'm going to have to live with my mother for the first few months of my life back in Harrisburg. This is not like living with somebody else's mother, believe me. Crusty? Yeah, that's a good word for her. Formidable might be a better word. I know she loves me. She has even said that she wants me to live with her as I heal from my latest hospital stay. But, mother (and I) have lived alone for about 25 years. We're set in our ways. She has her life and I have ..... well, I'm trying to regain mine.

I will not have a car, initially, when I move back into her house. She lives in a suburb without bus access. She will have control of the transportation. She wants to drive me to work and pick me up in the evenings. Her memories are of dropping her children off at high school. Perhaps those were good memories for her. I am thankful that she would like to help me in this way, until I can afford a car that will be healthier for my back.

Maybe God is orchestrating this reunion so mother and I can regain our relationship. We barely talk on the phone. One time I sneezed into the receiver, accidentally, and she screamed at me, accusing me of doing it on purpose. This is common behavior for her. Yet, Linda says she has mellowed a little in the passing years.

I wonder if there is any way to negotiate a calmer, more respectful relationship with this daunting Italian woman. Will I become stronger or merely cower in the corner, like I did as a child.

Perhaps my stay will help give mother purpose in her life for a little while? That is the best we can hope for. Give her purpose and heal our relationship. Pray for us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home