Monday, July 18, 2011

Out of the Hospital

Those were the longest 6 days of my life. I swear. I had no window to look out of. Had no idea where I was, logistically, in Reno. Thank goodness somebody had installed lovely photos of springtime trees and a blue sky above my bed. At least I had that. Loneliest days of my life, too. I broke down into tears when an old friend of my father's stopped by for about 5 minutes and handed me $100. It was almost as if my dad, himself, came by for a few. Paulette, dad's 3rd wife, Juanita's daughter, set it up. She was an angel and I can't thank her enough for that.

About a week before I called the paramedics to take me to the ER, I kept saying to my sister Linda (and also my friend, Angela) that I need to go to the hospital. I didn't know why. I thought it was just because I was depressed. I had no idea that life-threatening blood clots had made their way into my lungs. I did know that I had no energy and could barely make it down the stairs. I fell to the floor twice in the shower, didn't have the strength to bathe. I had no idea why. Sure my back hurt like hell but it was much worse than before.

My doctor at the hospital was bizarre. Reminded me of "Dr. Spaceman" on the TV show 30 Rock. Talked a lot of gibberish. I think he was trying to be funny or something. The nurses were very young - all under 30 years old. The nursing assistants (who took blood pressure and helped bathe me and stuff) were generally older - and mostly very, very kind women. It was difficult listening to my room mate Cathy Ann moan at night and I'm sure she didn't appreciate my tears, either. What could we do? Alone, in pain, our bodies out of our control. She was there for liver disease - alcohol related. She had a lot of friends and acquaintances visit her side of the room. Steve and Michelle were able to take time out from their busy schedules to visit me a couple of times and I'm so thankful for their support and the fact that they brought me the computer. Cathy kept that TV turned on all the time. Luckily, the sound volume was pretty low. I had to keep asking the nursing assistants to move the curtain so I couldn't see the flashing lights of the screen. So distracting.

The food - dear God, they had me on a renal (kidney problem) diet because when I was admitted, my fluid intake was pretty low. I never want to go to the hospital again, OK? NEVER NEVER NEVER want to be a patient. 2 times in 3 years is way too much.

Finally, Michelle deserves so many thanks for helping me during the discharge. We got my medical records rather easily, but the nurses screwed up and did not send my meds (that I came into the ER with) to the pharmacy, like they were supposed to. Michelle also pushed me all over the hospital. Strong woman, for such a small person. I wish her much good luck and happiness in life.

I am so glad I am out of there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home