Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Reno Rodeo



This was one of my favorite parts from last night's rodeo. The free running of the mares and their baby colts. Such beautiful horses at the Reno Rodeo.

I don't consider myself a cowgirl (although for some reason, several people called me that, last summer, while I was in Angel Fire, NM) and don't know much about animals but I surely can appreciate the beauty of horses. And cattle. Love animals.

I didn't really understand most of what happened during the rodeo. Men took painful-looking rides on bucking broncos. I asked my friends if these men were ever able to reproduce. Surely their manly parts get knocked around and injured during the barely 8 second rides on top of those 4-legged beasts. You'd be surprised how long 8-seconds seems. That is the length required to stay on top of a bull, in order to have a qualifying ride. I'm not sure how long a cowboy has to stay on top of a bucking bronco in order to get points. There were several types of competitions. Roping calves, for instance. The cowboy rode up with a lasso and pulled down a running calf. Then, somehow, his horse walked backwards with the rope while the cowboy wrestled the calf to the ground and tied up his legs. Everything was timed to the second. 14 seconds was way too long. I think 7 or 8 seconds was the winning time.

And, there is a LOT of banter during the rodeo, to keep the crowd pumped up. A man on a platform and another man on horseback have a running commentary throughout the entire show. They discuss competitors stats and tell a lot of bad jokes. A jingoistic Patriotic theme runs throughout the proceedings. I sure get sick of hearing how great America is. I mean - aren't other countries great, too? Why do we keep having to remind ourselves our country is great? I think it is because people's faith in this nation is wavering due to corporate control. Or, maybe it is due to the fears about this economy - or perhaps just general prejudice. One man is employed as the "rodeo clown". He seems to have a tough job of not only making people laugh, but always being at the ready to rescue a cowboy should a wayward horse or bull cross his path. Plus, this clown was also a stunt motorcycle rider who jumped over a horse trailer and pick-up truck during intermission.

My favorite event of the rodeo was the one where several women rode gorgeous steeds at breakneck speed and then had them serpentine around barrels. The horses were majestic and I was thrilled that women took part in the contest. The winner was the oldest competitor and the commentators said she was a grandma. I bet she is one heck of a classy dame.

The grandstands were packed last night, in the 95 degree heat. Thanks to Michelle, we were in the shady grandstand. Saw a lot of cowboys and cowgirls walking by. Lots of blonde hair and short-shorts and cowboy boots on the girls. The boys wore mostly t-shirts and jeans and of course, cowboy hats.

I really felt like I had landed in an alternative universe last night. I'm glad I got to go and see what all the fuss was about.

2 Comments:

Blogger Linda S. Silberman said...

Very cool. Rodeo clowns remind me of that episode of King of the Hill when Bobby Hill was a Rodeo Clown. Not an easy job or lifestyle! love you...

6/23/2011 4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69mIePzdnD8

:)

You'll like this then....

6/25/2011 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home