Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hypnotism

Just finished the latest Richard Bach book, 'Hypnotizing Maria'. In the book, Bach discusses how we all hypnotize ourselves each and every day, by accepting a long series of suggestions about who we are and what are life is about. He postulates that we are constantly in the process of creating our own lives through a series of agreements. It is a simple little book, not more than 150 pages long. The story begins with a man volunteering to be a subject for an on-stage hypnotist, who successfully convinces the man that he is trapped behind a series of granite walls and cannot get out. Once the hypnotist snaps his fingers, the man realizes that he is on an empty stage and that the rocks and barriers were only in his mind. Bach says that all of us do this in order to create our existence. Through the course of the book, the man, a pilot - like all of Bach's protagonists - has a mystical encounter with a woman hitchhiker, who solidifies his theory. He has a series of epiphanies that take him further to his conclusion that we are all spirits, choosing to have a physical experience of life. Our lives are made up of the choices we make and the suggestions we accept and reject.

He discusses the law of attraction, at length. Our thoughts attract our experiences. There are no coincidences. We are what and whom we decide we are. Each life is made up from an infinite amount of possible choices. None of this is new material. It is Bach's latest take on ancient wisdom and ground he's covered, somewhat, in his earlier books like "Illusions" and "One". While I can sometimes be irritated by his writing style, his messages have always spoken to me. Perhaps 'Hypnotizing Maria' is just the book I needed to read today, to assist me on my journey.

If I am creating this life through the choices I make, than I have certainly created an interesting life. It has been filled with music, laughter and mayhem as well as boredom and sadness. I am visualizing a better life now. One filled with even more laughter and music and this time, I am bringing romantic love into my field of vision. I have had a vision for a long time now of a man, working in his music studio downstairs into the evening. He has to get his project completed. I clearly see myself preparing a grilled cheese sandwich for him and carrying it down to him on a plate. He looks up from his control board and computer and gives me a loving smile. He takes me into his arms and kisses me tenderly.

I like self-hypnosis.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda S. Silberman said...

I live on self-hypnosis. It is critical to my survival on this planet. I must program myself or else I am allowing myself to be programmeed by society. No thank you, society. I like my choices better.

I didn't know you made grilled cheese sandwiches!

Love your vision. Keep writing. You are a brilliant writer.

xoxo

6/23/2011 4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home