Monday, May 23, 2011

Anne Goes to Church

I really don't know if I am in the right town. There is so much natural beauty in this area - the mountains, Lake Tahoe, etc. But it is all so spread out. The town of Reno is kinda depressing. Or maybe it just seems that way to me because I have yet to find my place.

Stop the presses: I started attending the local Center for Spiritual Living church. I am not a regular church-goer. Ask anybody who knows me. I went to Seattle's CSL several times, though, to see my sister, Lisa sing. And, I always felt the message was OK. They are a non-denominational congregation that honors everyone's path to God. I like that idea. I have found that the sermons in both Seattle and Reno seem almost like therapy. Last Sunday, for example, the Reverend Liesa talked about self respect. That topic hit home for me. I like the music in the services, for the most part. And, some of the songs are familiar to me. I'm trying to find a community of like-minded people. The church offers twice-weekly t'ai chi sessions and has a once-a-month "vibrational healing with sacred gong" event.

But...I am not a "joiner". To me, spirituality is a personal thing. I have never felt comfortable talking to people about God. I have written about it a couple of times in this blog but for the most part, I keep it to myself. I am not a misanthrope. I like people. I like hearing their stories. I can understand people's need for community. Being part of a larger whole gives one a sense of place. I'm still sorting this out, obviously

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home