Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gus-Gus and Kelpie

Animals are the best. Here at Steve and Michelle's Gus-Gus and Kelpie are helping me find my way.

Gus-Gus is large, for a kitty. He weighs in at around 20 lbs, yet, like the person writing this blog, he doesn't eat all that much. About as much as an average cat. Gus-Gus has a very slow metabolism. It will serve him well, in times of crisis, should food become scarce. He has a very low center of gravity. His favorite places to hang are under the dining room table, and on the bed, in the middle of Steve and Michelle's comforter. He's a quiet cat but when he looks at you, his eyes seem to be desperately trying to communicate something. I'm trying to settle myself to figure out exactly what that is. Perhaps it is, "Do YOU speak my language? Will YOU understand when I need a cat treat?" He lets me pet him and brush him and scratch under his chin, but so far, Gus-Gus has not jumped up on my lap.

Kelpie is a red, medium-sized dog with the pointed nose and ears of a German Shepherd. That is not her breed, however. She has the mixed blood of a Sheltie, a Shar-Pei and a Mastiff. Michelle had her DNA tested. Steve is skeptical. Whatever she is, she is about the sweetest, best-behaved dog I have ever met. So calm and loving to her human companions. While she loves to sit under the dining room table during dinner and stare heavenward, hoping against hope for a wayward morsel, mostly, she is not a beggar. When you need a little bit of puppy lovin', just call her name and she'll sidle up beside you and let you have your way with her. She is, however, a very jealous and protective girl. If she happens upon me giving Gus-Gus some affection, she will demand some cuddling for herself. Also, she is not a fan of domestic discord. She starts to howl if voices are raised. Kelpie likes a peaceful home. Her doggie door provides her with access to the outside world whenever she wants and you can find her favorite napping places by looking for the dents in the lawn.

Getting to know two new animal friends helps make the uncertainty in my life a little easier to handle. I am once again putting food in their bowls and cleaning a litter box. I feel almost normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home