Saturday, February 12, 2011

Last Chance for Romance Tonight



I thought I was on my way to stardom, that's for sure. The Grantville Holiday Inn, in Grantville, PA. The band was given 3 hotel rooms during our stay and I never had to share my room with one of the guys. We lounged by the swimming pool and ate in the hotel restaurant.

Here I am in December of 1979 with my very first band, Rhythm Transfer. We're doing a cover version of Donna Summer's Last Dance. The extended disco version. And, I introduced the band. The end of our 3rd set of music. We used to do 4 and 5 sets a night. And we repeated Last Dance at the end of the 5th set. How I tried to make this tune "fresh" when I sang it. Especially when I sang it for years and years. But, oh how I failed! However, in 1979, the song was still new enough for me to enjoy. I don't know how pop artists can make their songs new after they've done them for 10, 20, 30 years. What's the secret? Maybe they find joy in the audience's faces? Maybe they remember the happiness the song brought to them at the time? By 1980 I was totally burned out on singing "Last Dance". Yet, I sang it onstage until at least 1983.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home