Monday, October 24, 2005

Bottle Brunette

Since I've been a student I haven't had the money to get my hair colored or highlighted. So, I've resorted to using over-the-counter hair colors (or hair colours as they say in Canada).

I guess I'm not alone. Walgreen's, up the road from me, carries an entire aisle FILLED with the manes and faces of sultry blondes, seductive brunettes and saucy redheads staring out from enticing boxes with the brand names Garnier, Miss Clairol, Preference, Excellence and Ferria, to name a few. Some of the boxes even have young men on them, looking more frisky and playful than sexy.

I have been a blonde, or "strawberry blonde" my entire life. Once I got closer to graduation from college, however, I wanted to become a brunette. Maybe I wanted my hair color to reflect my intellect. I wanted to tell the world to take me seriously. Funny, since I'm such a raging feminist. I should be the last person to believe that my hair color defines who I am. But maybe I just wanted a change. Besides, brown hair seems to highlight my fair complexion and blue eyes better.

I've gotten a little bolder with the color, too. Once, my hair turned the color of a watery hot chocolate and another time, I was furious to find brassy red highlights instead of the soft auburn that the box promised.

Wonder what shade this iced-mocha will be when I rinse it out of my hair. I'll let you know. The timer just went off! Better jump in the shower!

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne S. said...

It's not bad! The color is kind of auburn. I think I like it!

10/25/2005 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home