Tuesday, October 18, 2005

My Head Has Left the Building

Actually, my head has left The South! Even better. I'm applying to graduate school at the University of Washington and am planning on moving back home to Seattle in mid-December!

I finally had a vision of my future and am putting things into place to make that happen. Luckily, The Universe is cooperating! Funny how that is. When I finally got to North Carolina, everything fell into place. While getting my education in this state wasn't my first choice - I had planned on Ohio but after a year I needed to leave - once I got here, I quickly got a job and an apartment and met some cool people and found out how cheap North Carolinia schools are for state residents. It seems I was SUPPOSED to go to my school. I even found a wonderful apartment in a building I had driven by and said "It'd be so cool to live there!" And, there wasn't even a For Rent sign outside. Just fate and luck.

I'm crossing my fingers for more of that fate and luck as I travel back Northwest to study Ethnomusicology. It is the one disipline in the world that seems made for the unique way I process life. I had never heard about it until I got to this North Carolina school. And, what are the chances that I would find out about it from a guy who got his PhD from the University of Washington? And I wouldn't have taken his class had I not overheard a conversation in my "Masterpieces of Cinema" class. I would never have taken "Masterpieces of Cinema", from this particular teacher, had I not sat next to Lea in my French 101 class. And, I wouldn't have taken that 11:00 AM French 101 class had I been able to get up just a little earlier in the morning...

I think it is FATE.

So, I keep thinking how I'll get to the University from my sister's place. Will I park and ride the bus? Will I ride a bike? How many coffee places will I pass on my way to class? Ooooh. Cool and cloudy weather. Air I can breathe. So enticing after spending this sweltering summer in the South. I think about all of the wonderful movies that play in Seattle that never reach this backwater burg. Art and liberalism. God I miss those things.

Trying to push my head back into North Carolina so I can finish up the workday and head home. For just a couple more months...

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda S. Silberman said...

I don't think you should ride a bike to the UW. Big Ass hills getting home!!! Plus, you hate bike riding...but remember how much fun it was to ride a bus? And now there's all that cool stuff in Fremont and so much great bread, and yummy beer, and Trader Joe's...I love SEATTLE! But, I love the Florida Ocean a bit more. I'm very happy for you!
Love,
Patsy

10/20/2005 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home