Thursday, September 15, 2005

Green Bible Terrorists

This morning while on my North Carolina state-run college campus I was once again accosted by members of the Gideon society pushing their Green Bibles on everyone who passed them by. This morning, I could take it no longer so I wrote a letter to my college newspaper. Here is what I wrote:
------------------------------------------------

I have kept my mouth shut about this for 3 years, but I am sick to death of being accosted every year by the Green Bible Terrorists of the Gideon society! Every year I have gone out of my way to avoid their witnessing as I walk to class or work.

Why are these predatory, smiling men allowed to roam freely on this campus while other organizations, with just as zealous an agenda, are relegated to the "free speech zone"?

This university is not a private college run by a Christian organization! This university is a public, state-run university!! Doesn't this brand of missionary work
violate the separation of church and state guaranteed by the constitution? I am as offended by the Gideon's yearly presence as an evangelical Christian would be to the presence of Muslims handing out copies of the Koran on campus.

But I'm sure the Muslims would be made to do their work in the campus "free speech zone" behind the Student Center.
-------------------------------------------------

This may seal my fate and get me fired from my temp job. But I am so pissed off at the moment that I don't care.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like a perfectly reasonable request for me, although I'm doubting your reference to this group as "Green Bible Terrorists" will win you any friends. However, you MAY be influencing people!!!

9/15/2005 7:11 AM  
Blogger Linda S. Silberman said...

Great letter! Will it have an impact? Hard to say. Remember you are in the SOUTH and in your little town there are more Churches than bars. I say call in the ACLU!

9/15/2005 5:03 PM  
Blogger Titus said...

Nice letter. And no worries. One of my letters was published and I never really heard much from it.

On a sidenote, I think there's some kind of time limit that the Gideons (and I suppose others) have to sorta do their thing. I'm probably wrong, but its just a guess. 'Cause just when I was going to go out and ask "Hey, why is it that you folks always want to put the Ten Commandments in public schools? Why don't you ever want to post something cooler like the Beatitudes? You know: Woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. I'd support posting something like that!" Just when I was about to go out and ask that question, the mysterious Gideons had up and disappeared...

9/20/2005 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home