Thursday, August 04, 2005

JESUS AND THE POPSICLE

This post is being written in response to the inaccuracies stated by my sister, "Miss Patsycat" in her blog, "Patsycat Cafe".

According to her writings, I stopped beleiving in Christianity due to an ORANGE CREAMSICLE. This is a bald-faced lie. The culprit was, in fact, A BANANA POPSICLE! There is not now and never has been any similarity between the two. An orange creamsicle is an orange popsicle shell covering a delicious vanilla ice cream center. The two tastes combine to make a light and fruity confection. A banana popsicle is yellow from the outside to the wooden stick inside and tastes like how a skunk scent would taste if it could be frozen and packaged 6-to-a-box. DuPont probably has a patent on the flavor.

Here is the true and factual story, to the best of my recallection:

It was a sweltering Illinois summer in 1968. I was 7 and NOT 10 years old, as my sister incorrectly stated. My mother, in an ongoing attempt to turn her daughters into little boot-stepping Christians, once again sent us to Vacation Bible School - this one held at the Church of Christ in the suburban north of Decatur, IL.

During the week, the church ladies would, after lunch, offer us popsicles for desert if we would agree to "be saved" and "accept the Lord Jesus Christ" as our personal "Lord and Savior". I resisted for 4 days, after I saw some children crying when they came back from the dark room inside the church where the ladies did their "holy" work. I thought it might hurt.

On the fifth day, they bribed us with fudgesicles, the most glorious and delicious of all popsicles. Finally, a hungry little Ansapo agreed to submit to their taunting and "accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my Personal Savior". And that was all. It didn't hurt, I didn't cry and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I just wanted my goddamned fudgesicle!

But NO! The lure of the fudgesicle was great and the supply had been depleated! The Church Ladies had run out before I could get mine! In an attempt to appease a poor, sobbing, freshly minted little Christian girl, they offered me what they had left, A VILE, POISONOUS BANANA POPSICLE.

It was at that moment I had an epiphany. I had been lured into a religion that did not keep its word. A religion that did not honor the needs of its flock. A religion that would deny the faithful in order to increase in numbers. In short, a SHAM RELIGION! It was at that moment that I became a doubter of Christianity and though I've tried countless churches, Christianity has never taken a hold of me.

Dear ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I believe I have provided sufficient evidence why I can not believe in Christianity and why I can not be blamed for my actions.

Miss Patsycat, in the future, I would appreciate it if you would check your facts before recklessly publishing them.

Thank you for your time.

4 Comments:

Blogger praynlady said...

I happened by your blog by chance and was saddened to read your last post. It is a sad day, that a person who has had a bad situation deny them the blessings of attending a church for the fellowship with Jesus Christ and the rest of the church family. If I might be so bold to suggest, please look for a "purpose driven church" in your area. It is a church based on the basic "baptist" beliefs, (usually) and the way they are set up, they are churches for those who are not comfortable in a "traditional church" and they are really a great way to get to know the God who is real, not the one some people believe they can teach you about that would trade your heart for a popsicle. Please feel free to visit my blog and I'd love to chat with you further if you've a mind to. I will pray that you find happiness in whatever you decide but that God would direct you to a church that you would feel not only comfortable in but that you would be willing to give another try to finding Him not in the church but in your heart.
God Bless.

Don't be too hard on your sister, she may not have the exacts correct, but I'm guessing she really loves you and wants to see you in Heaven when the time comes.

8/04/2005 1:53 PM  
Blogger Linda S. Silberman said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! THE CHRISTIANS ARE STILL OUT TO GET YA ANSAPO!!!

8/04/2005 4:32 PM  
Blogger Linda S. Silberman said...

Whew! That was funny! Okay, I stand firmly corrected, but let me just say that if you were 7 years old, I would have only been 5 so that being the case, my memory may be a little foggy. I think you were older than 7 AND I believe this is the same church that told you all JEWS would burn in hell.

I will post an official apology on my blog which is for the public to view at: http://www.patsycatcafe.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Patsy

8/04/2005 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe in the heaven or hell from the picture books, but I plan on being somewhere after my time comes. I just hope you're there too. Your humor and wit have brightened my day.Thanks.

12/01/2005 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home