Thursday, July 14, 2005

I am a Cranky Old Lady

Aah youth.

For the next two weeks, my University is being invaded by one-thousand seven-hundred and thirty kids, aged 10 through 18. The school of music is holding its annual Summer Music Camp and swarms of them are congregating in the student center between classes. This makes the life of a staff member very difficult. Just getting a cup of coffee now becomes an ordeal.

"Oh My Gawd, like what's a carmel match-oh-tow?" says one gangly-limbed girl to her equally confused friend.
"I dunno. Maybe its from Mexico?"

Trudy, the ever-patient barista calmly describes the drink to the girls, standing 4 people ahead of me in line. The girls pool their money and after another minute or two of "I'll drink whatever you want", "No, it's OK, I'll get what you want. Do you like chocolate..." They decide on an iced mocha.

Then the NEXT child in line places his order, dumps all his change out and SLOWLY counts out $2.09 for an iced drink. He has a lot of nickles in his pocket.

I AM NOW LATE FOR WORK.

Finally my turn comes and I get my drink. I ask Trudy how she handles all of these kids and she replies,

"They don't know it, but I'm givin' 'em all decaf. The last thing these kids need is more caffene!"

Trudy is a Cranky Old Lady, too. A sneaky Cranky Old Lady.

Heh heh heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home