Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Yankee Talk

I work as a student employee at a medium-sized Southern University. Today, while minding my own business, I overheard a PhD and a department secretary having this discussion:

"I feel so pampered. I just got off the phone with a lady from Princeton and she was really nice to me!" Said the PhD.

"So, what's strange about that?" inquired the secretary.

"She's a Yankee!" responded the much-lauded professor.

"Maybe she was originally from the South?" offered the kindly secretary.

Now, I used to respond to this kind of talk thusly:
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People, people, people. You lost the war!!! Get over it!! "

However, I recently made the following realization. I was born in Baltimore, MD! That's south of the Mason-Dixon line. Which means, technically, I'm a Southerner! I am planning on using this tidbit to my advantage, the next time my regionality comes in to question. Until I move back North or out West, at which point I won't care anymore where I was born. Only Southerners care about that crap.

'CUZ THEY LOST THE FRICKIN' WAR!

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda S. Silberman said...

funny! They are a bunch of cry babies!

5/03/2005 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home