Saturday, June 18, 2005

The Professor and his WIFE

I know he got what he deserved. I've seen his kind before. Heck, I've fallen hopelessly in love with his "type" before.

You know the type: brilliant, handsome, articulate, gets your sense of humor and you have a great connection with him...but no way would he ever find you attractive. Instead, he goes for either Asian women or very beautiful women (not that Asian women aren't beautiful...but if you've ever lived in Seattle or Vancouver, you are well aware of white men who only date Asian women).

This time, I didn't fall for him, only shared common interests with him. He happened to be my professor at the time and steered me in a direction I should have been going my entire adult life. I had seen him with his young beautiful, blond girlfriend who seemed rather inarticulate and whom I assumed had the profession of either beautician or aerobics instructor.

Boy was I wrong. She was also a PhD and a professor and about 12 years his junior! From the first time I met her, she was hostile towards me. What I didn't know at the time was that she was pregnant with Mr. Professor's son and felt threatened by my common bond with her husband. Something I didn't understand, as I've become quite used to being the woman men are "just friends" with. Especially cute, smart guys.

After they were married, I thought maybe she'd warm to me. Occasionally, she has. Once, she even inited me to sit with them (and the new baby)at a lecture. But today, I ran into the little family at the farmer's market and she was, once again, very cold and distant to me. She dragged her husband away, before I could even talk to him about his research abroad.

He's mentioned, in passing, that maybe they got married because they were both new to town and felt a little lost.

I really think he got what he deserves. I look at him as a representitive of all men of his type. Only this one got caught. Now he's in an unhappy marriage and saddled with a (OK,absolutely adorable)kid. I do feel a little sorry for him.

But, I wish we could continue our friendship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home