Monday, October 18, 2010

Missing Chester

My sweet, departed kitty, Chester, has been on my mind lately.

Of all the things I've lost recently, he is the one I miss the most. I do miss making a regular salary, of course. I miss doing a job that I loved and living in a neighborhood where I felt I belonged. I miss being a contributing member of society (well, maybe that is a stretch). But, I miss those sweet green eyes and puffy paws and long silky fur, most of all.

I miss Chester's sweet tiny meow and the way he'd look into my eyes. I miss his soft purr and the way he stood on his back feet while reaching for his feather toy. I miss the way he scratched on his post and tore up the carpet on the floor. I even miss being meowed awake at 6am in order to put food in his little fish-decorated ceramic bowl.

Mostly, though, I miss cradling him in my arms. I've never had a cat let me just pick him up and hold him like a baby before. Chester and I would cuddle for hours. I'd lay on the couch and he'd climb up on my chest, nestling his head under my chin. He loved having his cheeks rubbed and his upper chest massaged.

Chester, I hope you're out there someplace being loved by someone who cares for you as much as I did. I'm so very, very sorry I had to take you on the road with me. I know you hated it and I don't blame you for running away. I wish I could have found a different solution. I wish we were still together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home