Friday, October 22, 2010

At LAST!!!




Finally.

And so, Gino and I finally met, in person, after his concert in Portland on Wednesday, October 20th. I think we look really good together - don't you?

The concert was held in a sweet little venue, the Alberta Rose Theater, on Alberta Street. Just up the road from the Radio Room, the home of the Art-O-Mat machine. Coincidence? There have been SO MANY coincidences. I doubt it was a coincidence.

The Alberta Rose theater has maybe 300 seats and at least 20 of them were empty. I could not believe people were not climbing the rafters to see Gino Vannelli perform. I mean, it's Gino Vannelli, for God's sake! The man whose music and presense has occupied most of my thoughts for the past 6 months.

Julie and I sat in the 2nd row, just to the right of center stage. It is where I'd always imagined I would sit at his concert. When we sat down, the woman seated next to us said "Are you from Seattle?" - I said "Why? Do we look strange?" And I forget what her response was. I then asked her if she'd been to many of Gino's concerts and she said she'd seen a few but that her friend had followed him "since the beginning of time". Odd, I thought.

The show began right on time, at 8pm. I had to take a couple of Rescue Remedy tablets as I was so nervous to finally see him. Prior to the show, I stiffened my resolve with a gin and grapefruit juice (surprisigly refreshing - you must try it!)

And WHAT A SHOW!!! The band was absolutely amazing. The musicians were so tight and so well rehearsed. And, this is rhythmically complicated music. Rock-funk-jazz fusion. That drummer! That guitarist! And Gino's voice. Too good. Did not even sound human it was so beautiful. I just about fell out of my chair when the second song of the night started. "Stay With Me" - this song has tremendous personal meaning to me for reasons I can't go into in this blog. But, lets just say that my Gino looks so hot on that YouTube video it always brings a flush to my cheeks. I grabbed my heart several times when I felt his voice resonate with my soul, during Living Inside Myself and It Hurts to be In Love. Gino moved like a dream on those very skinny legs of his. I was surprised he kept his jacket buttoned up the whole night. 'Cuz his chest is not so skinny. Man has a very nice torso.

I wanted to stand and dance the entire night, but I was very conscious that others in the crowd were just sitting still. I didn't want to block their view. But I was so compelled to move like a heathen that I wound up gyrating in my seat and waving my hands in the air and playing my air trap set. I'm sure I looked like a wack job.

I kept hoping Gino would catch my eye, since we were seated so close to the stage (maybe 10 or 12 feet away?). It only happened one time - at the very end of I Just Wanna Stop (When I think about those nights in Montreal...)And our eyes locked for only a split second. But it felt like fire, when it happened.

And now, I can say we've met. It was not everything I had hoped it would be. The moment I have been dreaming about for what seems like ages. But, it is a start. I don't know what will happen next.

But, I think we look GREAT together.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fusionfunkmeister said...

Hey!
Glad to have found your blog.
Been thinking about the last week's turmoil and sure things were said that didn't need to be said.I can be too judgemental sometimes,but I'm still a work in progress.Owned up to my mistakes and my "friend" and I are not on speaking terms,I just recognize that things are different.
Sometimes,the saying "Familiarity Breeds Contempt"will shows itself from time to time,there is still room for redemption.It takes some real doing to know when you can jump in and do and when to take time and view the road you're taking to make you know it's the right road.Does it mean I'm a little slow sometimes? Probably.
Do I make mistakes? Yes.Can learn from them?Absolutely!I can't always expect forgiveness or for wounds to heal when I want them to,but I can still learn...and grow from there.We all can.
And that's cool You got to meet Gino.Didn't have to be a perfect enounter.The main thing is you got to meet him.

10/28/2010 12:38 AM  
Blogger Fusionfunkmeister said...

Correction:My friend and I ARE on speaking terms,just hasn't been with the frequency as in the past.
That is self imposed,due to schedule.

10/28/2010 12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anne Silberman said...

F.F. Meister,
Thanks very much for your comments. I am so glad you and your "friend" are on speaking terms again. Navigating the sea of a human relationship is tricky business, and I am certainly no expert on the subject. But, it seems like breathing and taking a step back (instead of running away-my usual first response) is a healthy thing to do. I am so glad you believe in redemption. Not something I was raised with as a child - I'm so glad to know it exists and am happy to embrace the concept.

10/28/2010 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home