Monday, August 18, 2008

A Day Off

Mondays are my day off from my job.

I don't work 24/7. But I worry 24/7. And I beat myself up almost as much. I'm sure, if you've spent any time with this blog you've already figured that out.

I took the day off from worry today. Had some lunch, did some grocery shopping and finally took myself to see "Sex and the City" (now that it is at the $3 second-run house). I tried "illegal downloading" that movie, in order to save myself the precious $9.50. It was awful. I will never do that again, officer, I swear. I've learned my lesson. Must have been filmed with a tiny camera located inside a baseball hat. Bad colors, sound and worst of all, only the top half of the screen showed for most of the time. A lot of noses and eyes.

"Sex and The City" is a fantasy world where everybody makes enough money to afford $500 pairs of shoes and they all wear designer outfits and nobody has lost their figures well into their 40's. But "bad" things do happen to them, from time to time. And while they go through depressions, they are blissfully short. And these ladies don't beat themselves up for days on end.

There was something wistful seeing the four heroines again. Seeing them compared to 20-something women and listening to them spout their learned wisdom. Yesterday, my sister and I sat with her girlfriend on the porch and we also commented on how "clueless" we were in our 20's. There was a comfort for me, seeing Lisa's friend, unashamed of her Rubenesque body as she sat across the table from me scooping up guacamole with a chip. She had just ridden 35 miles down to the lake and around town on her bike. In a town filled with hills! I was amazed at her energy and bravery and hope she is as comfortable in her skin as she seemed.

It was good to have a day off to contemplate all of this. And not beat myself up for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home