Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New Job

I haven't been blogging because I'm learning a new job. It is good, but a bit stressful. My assistant producer role has expanded. I'm now learning how to find and book guests for the weekend shows. I've contacted publishers, pre-interviewed authors across the Atlantic as well as on this continent and am starting to learn how to negotiate.

That is the hardest of all for me. Negotiation. I understand that if you've been married, you learn how to negotiate and compromise. I've never been good at that. I haven't a clue how to get people to do something they don't want to do. I've never been a good salesperson and persuasion is a skill I don't have. I'm usually the one to cave in first. I have a sneaking suspicion that those who know me well have already figured this out and have taken advantage of this fact for years.

My heart is getting stronger by the day. I am sure of it. I've started the cardiac rehab program at the hospital where I got my operation. Walking on a treadmill and using the "eliptical bike" 2 and soon 3 times a week. Also doing free weights with a group of senior citizens. I am by far the youngest person in the cardiac rehab class. Kind of nice being the youngest again. The few I've talked to had stents put in their arteries to clear out the clogs after a heart attack. I called one man a "pussy"! I've wanted to say that to somebody who only had a stent put in via a vein in the leg, as opposed to the full open heart procedure I had to replace my valve. They have NO IDEA of the pain I've felt!

But, we all lived and are in the process of making our bodies and hearts stronger. I'm able to walk for longer distances before tiring, too. I've made it all the way through the dog park to the lake without stopping. Have done it twice now. The strange thing is my legs are now more exhausted than my trunk. Used to be the other way around. And, I'm feeling more alert after exercise. I've always heard that was the case but it never was with me. Must have been because the oxygen was too busy going to my heart that it forgot about my brain.

So, new job, new heart. New life - new start?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home