Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Farewell Good Citizens. My Work Here is Finished!

I WON!!!

Three posts ago, (Why Do I Even Bother?) I lamented the insults perpetrated on me by the editor of Yes! Weekly and felt disgusted and demoralized.

Well, as of the latest issue published today, November 9th 2005, the weekly magazine no longer features any mention of "Yes! Girls"!!!!! There isn't a single trace of the sexist advertising campaign!

They may have insulted me in print but in the end, I got the moral victory! It is clear my letter must have prompted discussion in their offices. Also, I am aware of at least one letter written in my defense. Perhaps there were more? None of these letters made it in the magazine, however.

Yes, my work here in this backwater North Carolina town is through. I have prompted discussions on sexism, religion and freedom of speech. Parrhesia*, even in a town like this, is alive and well!


* Parrhesia - the open discussion of ideas that go against the popular opinion. (the word was first used by Plato - the concept of parrhesia is NOT allowed in the Bush administration)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home