Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Letter to My Mother's Priest

Dear Father,

I have been acting as chauffeur and attending your Church with my elderly mother for a couple of months now. I sat inside, for a few weeks, until I felt that I was offending those around me by not sitting, standing and kneeling at the appropriate times and not reciting along with the congregation. When one woman glared at me, I knew I had to move. I now listen either on the back steps or in the hallway leading to the classrooms.

I am not a Catholic. But, I can see the beauty and love in the people who attend. I can understand how ritual and reverence gives humanity a deeper connection to Source and to their community. Also, I can see and feel the love within your heart, and I always appreciate your sermons. I once shook your hand and said "you are a good man" - because I can feel that you are truly filled with love.

What I don't understand is why the Vatican and the church's hierarchy insist on continuing to separate the people - who are really manifestations of God - FROM God. The recitations repeated by the congregation only seem to add to that separation. I sense a real dichotomy, between your sermons and the rituals and rules that you must follow, in order to comply with the diocese and Rome.

You see, I believe that we are all worthy. We are all God. We have all of the answers inside of us - there is no need to go outside to one day hope to find God. Having people say that they are not worthy and calling themselves "sinners" only brings feelings of fear and negativity to the soul, which contains the God spark. I understand why Jesus did what he did. But, his message was distorted. As a scholar, I'm sure you know how many times the words in the Bible were translated and misinterpreted. Entire chapters were hidden or discarded. The power of women was thwarted.(I must say, I am happy to see a feminine presence on your alter, though). All, in order to control the populace.

Again, though, I must say that I don't sense the negativity in you. In fact, I only see love and joy when you greet the congregation after the service. It warms my heart to see you talk to the small children.

My mother would be mortified if she knew I were writing this letter to you. She was raised Catholic and left the church but came back. Organized religion never "took", with me. This is a great shame in her heart. I wish it were not so, and that she would understand that I feel God's presence every moment I am alive.

I dreamed about you and the Church last night and awoke feeling it was time to write this letter.

Take care of yourself, Father, for you are a shining star.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

AMEN!!!

10/23/2011 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home