Wednesday, October 05, 2011

How Do I Turn on the Damned Lawn Mower???

As I've been getting stronger and am now able to walk longer and longer distances (nearly 3 miles!), I would like to be able to help around the house more. What needs to be done most, is mowing the lawn. A cherubic-looking 13-year old boy named John stopped by the house last week and for $15, he was going to mow the yard. I said yes (but perhaps I should have negotiated a better price). However, it rained most of the week and we cancelled him for the time being. When I suggested to mother that I call him to come back, she informed me that it was my responsibility to pay him the $15, since mowing the job was MY job. Funny, she never told me that before.

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm perfectly willing to do this. However, I can't get the blasted lawn mower started. I have tried several times - but a body needs to have exceptionally strong arms and upper body strength in order to yank the starter at the correct speed. I'm going to have to ask a man from the neighborhood to help me. I think my sister, Linda, has done this before. She is so much more forthright than I, but I'm getting better. "Please, Mr. Nice Man, could you pull this starter for me? I'm such a poor, helpless female and can't do it all by myself..." (although I don't think she's used those exact words, that is her sentiment - Linda is also a much better 'flirt' than I).

At any rate, I'm glad I'm getting stronger. Still using a back brace (from the drugstore) and still have to take Tylenol and the occasional 1/2 a Vicadin for the pain. Especially after sitting or driving for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home