Sunday, November 14, 2010

Art Attack!

I miss being an artist. I suppose I am still one but my creativity has been a bit lacking, recently. I won't beat myself up about it, though, because my life has been kind of wacko for the past several months and my living situation is not completely stable.

Happily, I have just recently started doing very small watercolor pencil works again. I probably got inspired when I picked up the check for a small piece I created about 5 years ago. It had been hanging at Art F/X for a long time. When I felt the creative urge, I went into Daniel Smith's artist supply store. If that place doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will! I think I finally found a solution to my paper problem. The handmade watercolor paper I used to use had been discontinued. See, I use a LOT of water when I make my paintings. I draw, add water, over soak and blot off excess paint and water. Then I start over later, with another layer. Adds dimension to a piece. Perhaps I'll complete a small (5 x 7 inch) painting tomorrow.

On Friday, I attended my second session of paint dancing, held in that cool studio in Wallingford. Matt had the 70's and 80's funk and R&B tunes playing and I was in a blissful state, painting with wild abandon and dancing like a fool. A fellow paint-dancer was mesmerized (or confused) by my movement and asked me why I was dancing like that (not the greatest compliment, I suppose). I answered "THE MUSIC!! It makes me move!" Really, I have to state again that I can't understand how people can NOT be inspired by music. I totally wore myself out that night and I made some colorful abstract pieces that I kinda like. Might try and frame them and put them up at Art F/X.

Saturday, as it turns out, I was called in to work for a few hours at Art F/X and then after a wonderful dinner with friends, I went to an 'open studio' in Ballard. A large building, that houses several artist studios had a monthly opening. I loved it. I got to meet several successful local artists and talk about their creative processes with them. One man, named A.J., distresses his canvasses, like I used to do. I did it with layers of paint and sometimes glue and putty and wax. He uses solvent and scrapes the surface up with Brillo Pads. Then, I found my old Art/Not Terminal colleague, Claude Utley. I've always been intrigued with Claude's work. Some of his work is very naive at times, but wildly colored. Some might call it child-like and abstract and absurd. But make no mistake, he is highly skilled and can work in a very intricate mosaic style, too. We had a very nice chat and I bought a very, very small piece that I quickly put in a frame and hung on my wall.

When I was a little girl, I was always drawing, making paper dolls, coloring, etc. Then, that side fell away, as art teachers demanded precision. It took an experimental drawing and painting class, when I was 31 or 32, to bring out my visual artistic side. I will be forever thankful for my wise left hand, that picked up the telephone receiver and dialed the number to sign up for Peggy Zehring's class. In just a couple of days, I learned to mix colors and experiment and trust my inner-guidance. We painted blindfolded and there was no place to judge ourselves. It was a life-changing experience.

I have painted off and on now, for about 18 years. I can't believe it has been so long! Back when I had my old condo off of Lake City Way, for years I had a clear plastic tarp covering the dining area carpet. Paints and brushes and canvases were strewn all over and there was always a painting in the middle of completion. It looked chaotic but I have many fond memories of waking up and feeling creative at 3am, getting out of bed and throwing paint at a canvas. It was very meditative and therapeutic. A couple of my pieces felt "channeled" Especially the one that looked like the Earth on fire. I don't have that piece now. Last I checked, it was trapped in a storage shed in Hillsboro, NC, behind Ginny Tyler's old rental home. The lock was jammed and we could not open the door when I moved back West. I don't even know if that place still stands (it has been 5 years now). I sure miss those paintings, though and wish I could get them back!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I wish you could get those paintings back too. Could you contact the county, get the name of the property owner, and contact that person? Maybe they know what happened to your paintings. The info might even be available on the web from the county.

11/15/2010 4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home