Monday, May 03, 2010

Vocal Collages

Back in 1999, I was briefly involved with a group of experimental Seattle composers, called the Sonicabal. They put out a CD with the music of some of the members of the group. I begged and pleaded for just 1 minute of that precious CD time, to present, what I called a Vocal Collage - a piece with multi-tracking of my voice, performing all of the sights and sounds of a particular place. In this instance, my old Seattle neighborhood, Maple Leaf. I wanted to create the sonic atmosphere I encountered during my daily walks through my hood. Dogs, cars, birds, airplanes, as well as a scat line to represent footsteps and a melodic line to represent my happy mood. My great friend, Paul, put the piece together on his computer. I'd love to do more of these someday, I have a Greenlake piece jelled in my brain and there has to be something I can do with Lisa's neighborhood, so close to Aurora. A deafening wall of sound, assaulting the senses with only a sliver of melody, nearly hidden. One day, these will get recorded. And a year and a half later, here is a You Tube link to Maple Leaf - juxtaposed with Gino V's bridge in his song "Right to Remain Silent" - which came out in 2001... 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home