Monday, May 17, 2010

Using my Real Name

For the most part, I use my real name on the radio. Always have used some form-or-another of Anne, at any rate. The only exception is on KIRO, when I fill in. There, I like to think of myself as the saucy African-American lady, Dinae Washington. I like that name.

Yesterday, Anne Silberman was on fire on KOMO, doing my traffic reports ad nauseum every 10-minutes-on-the-4's for 6 straight hours. What an insufferable grind! Peak performance without an intermission for 6 hours. They don't ask that of any other kind of performer like actors, singers or comedians. But radio people, for some reason, are supposed to go full-tilt-boogie for half of a day. It is very, very draining.

I was working with Charlie Harger, KOMO's secret weapon - a man with a voice as comfortable as your favorite armchair and a wit quicker than any I've encountered in 20 years. It was a total blast being on the air with him. He'd set 'em up and I'd knock 'em down, and vice versa. Haven't had this much fun since I was at KISW back in 1989 with Steve Slaton. I felt like I'd gotten my mojo back. Plus, I knew that some very dear people were listening to the online broadcast so I suppose I was showing off, a bit.

I felt powerful. Exhausted but powerful.

And then, like these past few roller coaster weeks have dictated, it all came crashing down on my head today.

I took a look at the bank account, tried to get in touch with the unemployment commission and found out that my claim is still in process. Realized that I could not afford groceries this week. I had to apply for food stamps. I completed the online application and called The Department of Social and Health Services for my interview. I was told, by the nice DSHS lady that I qualified for "expedited" assistance, which means that I can get a food-stamp debit card today, and purchase groceries with it by tomorrow. I had to go to the Ballard DSHS and pick up my card.

Sitting in the waiting room at the DSHS, I realize that my troubles are very small, in comparison to others. I watched a nearly deaf Japanese American lady try and communicate with a case worker. Such an effort was made, on both parts. She lives like that every single day of her life. Now that is a burden. The patience a retired man showed to his sick wife was inspiring. He didn't seem to mind opening all the doors for her (including the ladies room door) or getting her a cool drink. And, there were several fathers, with their children. Perhaps mom had a job but dad lost his?

Yet, I still felt rather embarrassed to be sitting on those plastic chairs. Even more so, when my real name ANNE SILBERMAN was blasted over the loudspeaker and I was told to go to window #2, to get my EBT (food stamp) debit card.

Oh how the semi-mighty have fallen (who am I kidding? I work on the RADIO! Nobody listens to the RADIO anymore...)

But, somehow, there was a bright spot to the experience. The grey-haired and acrylic-nailed social worker assisting me had on a George Straight t-shirt. I don't know why, but that t-shirt really made me smile. I worked at a country music radio station for 3 years. I've always respected George. He puts out solid albums, one after another, with no fuss or muss on a regular basis. His songs are classics and his singing is pure and honest. I hear he lives on a real working ranch. They say George Strait is the real deal. I hope it is true. The lady and I got to talking about George and she told me she saw him in concert a couple of years back at the Key Arena. She beamed with pride when she discussed his recent "star of the decade" Country Music award. I told her that she made my day with that conversation. And, she really did.

Maybe if I keep on plugging away, like old George, things will go my way.

Might as well continue using my real name.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda S. Silberman said...

Wow...such a great story, Anne! I know so much transition is happening for you rather quickly and you ARE doing a phenomenal job of trusting that it will all work out for you! I believe that maintaining humility and grace while trusting and believing that everything will work out, and it does! How exciting to have a day on the radio to punctuate the things you LOVE about radio!

Stay in the vibration of what feels good and everything will continue to unfold perfectly.

Lots of love to you...
xoxo

5/18/2010 4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home