Friday, May 07, 2010

Best Mexican Food EVER!!!!

Wow.

When you get the opportunity to eat authentic food from any culture, you MUST!

I had heard that a place I sometimes walk to for breakfast, The Varsity Inn, was now open for dinner 5 nights a week. The family that runs the business is from Central Mexico, in the mountains, north of Mexico City. They wanted to share their family recipes with their loyal following. I read about it in a local blog.

I had NO IDEA that Mexican food could taste like this! Everything homemade!

Starting off with the salsa,smokey, spicy, and yellow-green in color, served with chips made in-house. Just enough, as to not spoil dinner.

Then, I ordered the chicken mole. To use a ladylike phrase: OH MY FUCKING GOD!

I had NO idea that mole could taste like this. The server, who is one of the owners, a Greek woman married to the Mexican man cooking in the back, told me the sauce contained chocolate, pumpkin seeds, bread, coriander, and so many other ingredients she could not list them all. I have never tasted something so complex and delicious. I had to eat very, very slowly and savor every bite with my eyes closed.

The rice and beans were gently and slowly cooked, with bits of onion and jalapenos and tomatoes among other ingredients. Not a hint of cheese - that liberally-used staple in chain restaurants, designed to cover up bland, canned and flawed food.

I nearly cried when I was finished and let the proprietors know I would tell everyone I knew about this food. Which is why I'm writing this blog right now.

Luckily, I had enough to bring home for lunch today!

You MUST try dinner at The Varsity Inn in Wallingford near Gasworks Park!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Mole recipes are prized family jewels in Mexican culture. There are many varieties, but most contain chocolate and seeds of some sort. They are amazing. So glad you got to taste a good one!

5/07/2010 7:36 AM  
Blogger Clementina said...

Ever thought about cooking your own Mexican food? come and check out my little ole blog.
Clementina
"A Little Cup of Mexican Hot Chocolate"
And yes, it's the real deal.

5/08/2010 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home