Monday, October 12, 2015

First Rehearsal

Started singing again, yesterday. I lasted nearly 2 hours in a rehearsal with a couple of musicians, as we tried out five songs. Had a mic and small PA set up so that I didn't have to push my voice. Even so, I felt a bit weak and raspy by the end - in fact, I called it quits because I didn't want to do any damage.

I'm encouraged. And the others were very complimentary of my progress. I haven't been practicing much. I sometimes sing along with the car radio - but get scared if my voice drops out all of a sudden.  I like this keyboard player. A former lead guitarist, he took up the piano a couple of years ago. While he's not the most dexterous on the keys (yet), he is a solid musician with a vast knowledge of theory and a great sense of humor - and patience. I'll take that over a guy with killer chops and an over-sized ego, right now. I love getting scat ideas from musicians but these days, I'm happy to stay on pitch and sing the melody.

We're preparing for an open mic, some Monday in the not-too-distant future.  My sister brought me the microphone I used in the early to mid 1980's when I was with the "Jason Moore Show". It still works - and the polished silver of the AKG looks pretty. The pinkish-reddish lipstick stains are still on the windscreen. Don't think I'll wipe them off. I like the memories. Damn I wore a lot of lipstick back then.

We're working on some blues cover tunes: Moondance (of course), Lean on Me, Summertime, and a song called "Woman On Top" by Gino Vannelli. That one's kinda saucy and my musicians were blushing a bit when I sang it. I've always gotten a kick out of "double-entendre" songs. Those that can, do, those that can't, sing about it, I guess. 

Last time I rehearsed was about a year ago. And a couple of weeks later, I got my scary diagnoses. It is a small miracle that the voice (and the rest of me) is back in business. I am thankful.





1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You GO girl -- and l like double entendres too!

10/17/2015 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home