Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Bernard's Slow Decline

I am used to checking and filling the rack-and-pinon steering fluid in my car, Bernard, every week or so. I am vigilant with the oil and add some when necessary. Since last summer's radiator scare (2nd one in a year), I check and add more Prestone regularly. While I visually inspect the engine, I have no idea what kinds of defects I am looking for.

The driver's seat only has one  position that works. Luckily, it is the one I use. After I was rear-ended last year, I can't adjust the height of the seat. Bernard's muffler has a hole towards the back, that was patched shortly after he became mine. The patch needs to be replaced. Right now, the car sounds like some angry teen boy's hot rod. The CD player chews up CDs. And now, the fan and air conditioner only work on the two highest settings (but pumps out half the air it used to). The sound it makes is deafening. Not having air in the arid Southwest is the end of the line, for me.

I am grateful I got nearly a year's worth of driving out of the old boy, after he was "totaled" last September. I paid $2,000 for him and the insurance company gave me $2,200 as a settlement. I used him for 20 months and he was a godsend. But it is time for a change.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home