Sunday, February 23, 2014

Feeling Kinda Scared *

I don't know how to have this conversation with anybody I know, so I might as well post it on the Internet.

Here goes:

I am starting to feel a pressure and a tightness in my chest, again, whenever I go for a walk. This has happened during the last 3 times I've headed out. I have also felt dizzy, recently. I don't know if these two symptoms are related or not. But, what it might mean is this: my replacement aortic valve is wearing out. I can't believe it has been 6 years, already, since my operation.

Clear heads will tell me that I need to go see a doctor. Perhaps I am just out of shape and living at a high altitude causes these problems. I have had a difficult time adapting to life at 7,000 feet. After over a year, I still get light-headed. I can get loopy if I skip a week of oxygen therapy.

I think back to those 9 days in the hospital, after my AVR surgery. The pain of having my chest cracked open, the 22 medications I took daily, the loneliness I felt in the hospital, the Prednisone-induced insanity.. I don't think I can do it again.

I guess I don't have to if I don't want to.

*UPDATE*

Since writing this, I have taken 3 more walks and, happily, NO CHEST TIGHTNESS. Perhaps I just am out of shape.

1 Comments:

Blogger 23marie said...

Please see an appropriate cardiologist for a normal check-up Anne. There is probably nothing wrong but you might need to be on some sort of medication that will keep your heart in tip top shape for 50 more years!

3/04/2014 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home