Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Wanted Woman

Imagine my surprise this morning when I opened a letter from a Texas magistrate, informing me there is a warrant for my arrest in the lone star state.

It was very late in 2012. A crisp December morning. I had just spent the night in my car at a rest stop somewhere outside of Amarillo. I wore a tee shirt, 2 sweaters and 2 coats and wrapped myself in a reflective blanket, to stay warm. I was down to my last dollar and did not have a credit card to pay for a night in the local Motel 6. When I awoke, I drove to a McDonald's, piggybacked onto their WiFi and logged into my bank account. A brilliant shaft of light shone down on my HP laptop as I saw $335 had just been deposited in my account, my final paycheck from my last job. I could afford a real breakfast and fill up my tank and continue on my journey West. Huzzah!

Freshly fueled and fed, I steered onto Interstate 40, knowing I would reach my destination, Santa Rosa, NM, by afternoon. I chose Santa Rosa because the town promoted a dry climate with abundant water, in the form of a big lake and something called "The Blue Hole". Originally directed to the town by a State of New Mexico website, advertising several job availabilities, I knew a brighter future lay ahead. Anyhow, I was in high spirits when I cranked up my radio to hear the opening chords to Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning" - a rousing anthem to start my drive.

I didn't make it to the second chorus before I saw a Texas State Trooper make a wide U-turn and follow me with flashing lights. SHIT! I couldn't have been speeding!! The very curt and clipped voice of the trooper informed me I was going 85 mph. I protested. I know you shouldn't do that but I knew my 14-year old Honda Civic would not drive that fast. I had tried to get the speedometer up in Tennessee but it only reached 75, no matter how much pressure I put on the pedal. The trooper did not appreciate my attitude. I was handed the ticket and told if I wanted to protest, I had to appear in court within the month. Not very likely, given my financial state. And, it was not very likely I could pay the fine, either.

After I spent a couple of weeks in Santa Rosa, I saw very few opportunities for me. As I have written, I wound up in Taos where a (too) quiet life has unfolded. When my Texas court date arrived, I called the magistrate's office and told them I protested my fine. I asked if there was any proof - radar reports or otherwise, that could be supplied to justify my guilt. I was told there was none - I protested, saying there was no evidence. I hung up the phone and was very angry.I spent the next several months living on about $120 a month, along with food stamps. There was no way I could think about paying a speeding fine I didn't deserve. I guess I forgot about it.

That is, until this morning. Well, thanks to an auto accident that totaled my car (although my Honda still drives), I now have a small cushion in my bank account. I hate to dip into it to pay an undeserved fine to a state known for its phrase "Don't Mess with Texas". I don't know if I have another choice. Maybe the band Midnight Oil really did make me speed. Maybe being right isn't worth the hassle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home