Saturday, August 21, 2010

What Day is This? Where Am I?

And, why did I start this journey?

Oh yes - because I was deathly ill. It is good to get to a place of relative health, so I can question the reasons for leaving on my journey. Today I am still in Reno, NV with Steve and Michelle. I thought I was going to head West today but my body did not agree. That time of the month, you see. And it hit me HARD. So, I was in bed for most of yesterday and today.

Maybe "the curse" is not so much of a curse, after all. The isolation gives one time to reflect and process one's life. Perhaps that is why there were/are "menstrual huts" in some societies. Our interpretation may be incorrect in assuming that women were sent away by their men, because they were considered "unclean" during their periods. These several days could be seen as a time of meditation and cleansing. And the religious laws forbidding sex during menstruation also might be for the comfort and benefit of women. I had not considered that before.

Apparently there is a movie out, right now, based on that book "Eat, Pray, Love". I never got past the first chapter of the book. I'm sure the movie, with Julia Roberts and the ever-yummy Javier Bardem is entertaining and maybe I'll see it one day. But, not right now. Don't need to see a Hollywood version of what I happen to be going through at the moment. Sans the love. I had an opportunity, if I could have figured out how to flirt, to dance with a hot cowboy named Jack, in Angel Fire. But, I just didn't have the energy or self-confidence to go that route. Most of my attempts at casual liaisons in my life have left me with feelings of remorse. I am wearing an engagement ring and it is a convenient excuse, at the moment.

There was Claudio, though, in Montreal in July of 1983. Claudio - I think I found him on Facebook but I will never contact him. An Italian man. I don't know what hit me. I was at one end of a swimming pool, at the Montreal Sheraton, and he was at the other. Somehow, we swam toward each other. Or, maybe I swam toward him. I was wearing my red, un-sexy one-piece suit that I got, used, from my sister Lisa. I don't know what we said to each other. I don't know how it all started. He was incredibly handsome and looked more like an American football linebacker than an Italian furniture salesman. He had wavy brown hair and beautiful soft brown eyes. We went to the hot tub, which was packed with other Italian tourists. I sat there next to him, against my better judgment. Hot tubs used to make me very, very dizzy due to my heart condition. He came to see me sing at L'entre Temps (the hotel nightclub) that night and then....well, cue the fireworks and rockets. I carried his business card in my wallet for YEARS. I never felt bad about that "liaison". I've been thinking about it a lot, recently.

But, I digress. My little blue car is still sitting outside of Steve and Michelle's. Perhaps I will feel better tomorrow and start up her engine and get back on the road. I am so lucky these two kind souls have let me stay here nearly a week. Plus, I finally got to see my old friend, Verna, who is a very successful (but still not financially successful) fitness instructor. She teaches at the community college, has classes in retirement homes and cancer centers and also holds independent classes, workshops and does personal training. But, even with all of that, she still has to work at a Pier 1 store once a week, to make ends meet. She is so busy. I don't know how she does it all!! We got to spend all of Wednesday together. She took me to a cool "ghost town" that has been all tourist-i-fied, Virginia City. And, then we went to Lake Tahoe. Really beautiful. Verna is such a fantastic woman. Independent and strong and funny and REAL. Love her. It has been way too long since we've seen each other. So glad we reconnected. She loves fitness for the sake of fitness and I don't think she's judgmental, even though she asked me how I put on so much weight. Simple - 20 years of anti-depressants! The pharmaceutical industry has drugs that make you pack on the pounds and then has drugs to make you lose the weight or get rid of its side effects. Perfect system for them, for sure!

If I feel better tomorrow, I'll head out on the road. More to see, more to ponder, and more lessons to learn, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home