Thursday, August 24, 2006

Vincent Libretti

Enough about bankruptcy. On to more important matters.

I am obsessed with Vincent Libretti from the new season of Project Runway.

I started watching Project Runway last season and love seeing the designers' creative process evolve. I am fascinated by the skills needed for sewing and tailoring, as it is completely out of my realm of understanding. I have been a musician and artist but never a seamstress.

Vincent, from this new, third season has captivated me from the start. From the first time I watched his short online video before the season began, to last night's surprise win, his personality, and presence have me hooked. He's cute, close to my age, he's an artist and he has such a child-like joy and abandon in his creativity (I LOVED the "kooky hat" he fashioned out of a basket in the first challenge and his giddiness in creating the doggie outfit from the 3rd challenge). If he is only on the show because he provides "good TV", well, I, for one, have been sucked in.

While in the design studio, you can see that he needs his creative juices raw in order to work. His Pollock-esque walking painting from the "Waste Not, Want Not" episode is proof of this. It was such fun watching him throw paper and glitter on his refuse-canvas during this episode. I have also made "art out of garbage" and his joy reminded me of the fun I have had creating some of my own abstract paintings. I tried my hardest to win his paper dress in the auction from challenge 6. But, having just claimed bankruptcy doesn't give me much cash to play with and I lost by only $5.

I don't think he's crazy, as others (and the producers) have portrayed him. In the scenes from the apartment, Vincent appears very normal and almost nurturing to the other designers. He called Bradley, "my boy", and showed concern over his departure from the contest.

My only complaint about Vincent Libretti's Project Runway creations is that they don't show much use of color. I have the suspicion that he might be slightly colorblind, as many men are. A little red, blue, magenta or chartreuse could help him. But, other than that, I have found my Project Runway soulmate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home