Sunday, March 07, 2021

Robert Frost by Karrin Allyson

My friend has worked his ass off to create a life where he is free to compose music and write manuscripts and teach students. Because of the students he mentors, he never has to worry about paying his bills or even doing his taxes. He has somebody take care of that for him. If his refrigerator or toilet breaks, he texts a student and she does all of the research and follow-up needed, to ensure the proper person gets the job done. When a new bookshelf or chair arrives at his home, he doesn't put it together. It sits unassembled until one of his students puts it together. 

Back when the students lived with him, he never washed the dishes or cleaned the countertops. When it was dinnertime, he sat, regally, in his chair at the head of the table, while the students buzzed around him, serving him this and that, and cleared his plate when he finished. He now has my dog but he has NEVER ONCE taken him for a walk. However, it is he, who decides how and when Baxter should be walked. I can't imagine such a life. While I have benefited from the cadre of helpful students (who, to be fair, are wonderful people - as is my friend), I can't imagine how I could ever be comfortable living his life. I handle and pay my own bills - or delay them if I can't afford them that month. It is the most bizzare life I've ever seen. It works for him and he used to be a caregiver for his mother, so I know he's paid his dues. But, I am jealous of his ability to wave off the unpleasant tasks. Just like the author of this song feels about the poet, Robert Frost. Karrin Allyson does a beautiful job with this and conveys my frustration very well.



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home