Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Dog People

My puppy is a year old now. I love him but I can't control his wild instincts. I am not a dog person.

Dog people like to have command over something. They like to be in control. They are at the top of the food chain and want a pet who understands that truth.  OBEY ME NOW! I AM THE PACK LEADER! They say dog people are more "successful" in life than cat people. Probably true. (If you gauge success by money and position).

I am a cat person. I know I am NOT in charge. I speak to my pets with low and soft and soothing tones. I like to co-exist, peacefully. I like things quiet. I want to be loved but I have no need to lord my dominance over something. I have had 2 open-heart surgeries and I can't muster up the power to be forceful with my dog. Every time I have to raise my voice, it feels like I am damaging my soul. This has become a problem.

A couple of nights ago, I was rudely awakened by my dog, Baxter, barking so loud it made my ears ring. I knew there must be a rabbit or some other prey close by. He wouldn't stop the noise, despite my chastising. This went on for at least a half an hour, probably more, until I finally let him outside. For hours, I could hear his angry screams all over the property. Whatever he was hunting was not slowing down and he was determined to catch it. I didn't get back to sleep.

The next day I was greeted by the frustrated and sleepy face of the woman next door, who also did not get back to sleep, once Baxter started his hunt. I learned that the garbage cans had been toppled over which only means one thing out here. The BEAR is back.

My dog was chasing a BEAR. A gigantic predator with 4-inch claws. My 45 pound Chihuahua, German Shepherd, Chow and Collie mix spent the night protecting "his" property from something that could easily turn around and end his life with one swipe.

Today, I'm driving out to the mesa to meet with a dog trainer for my disciplinary last resort - a shock collar. the "Mini Educator 300" with a 1/2 mile range. It sounds like some kind of kinky S&M device. I am encouraged by the stories of a dog-loving friend who used it to control her beloved pooch. She said it only took a couple times before her pet stopped chasing birds. There was no trace of remorse or guilt in her voice. (I doubt dog people feel much guilt or remorse about discipline). I pray it works.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home