Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Chiropractic Theater

Ladies and gentlemen, step right up and witness the amaaaazing back-cracking skills of Mark, the chiropractor!

Not every chiropractor has an office. Some, like Mark, travel from home to home, offering services. It is less expensive for him to visit patients than to keep up an office. Plus, in the home where I am staying, he provides an afternoon's entertainment. Seriously. The entire family sits downstairs and watches each other get adjusted. They ooh and aah and giggle at the sounds of necks and spines cracking back into position. Plus, they get to socialize and catch up on Mark's life.

I have used chiropractors since I was in my early 20's, and always had a one-on-one doctor/patient relationship. I don't want to know what happens to other patients and I don't want them to witness my appointments! While I have made peace with being on display, during my adjustments, I simply cannot bear to watch and listen to the rest of the household while they are on the table. I sit on the stairs, behind a closed door, until my name is called. It always makes me a bit nervous to have them watching me and I'm sure I tense up a bit. But, so far, Mark has been able to help my back get into alignment. He doesn't touch my lower lumbars, though, due to my ruptured L5 disc.

But honestly, don't you find the idea of chiropractic theater a little odd?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home